Author: Elaine Kirn-Rubin
Suitable for: 5-8, Students, Instructors and Tutors. Secondary Students, Young Adults, Adults, independent learners, and Home School students. For English improvement, ESL, EFL, Literacy, WIOA, Career and College, and Corrections Institutions. New Readers; Beginning through Intermediate Language Learners
What They Are: Advanced Homophone Decks 12-15 contain 108 pairs of matching homophones (different words pronounced but not spelled the same) that are useful in educated speech and writing. These include polysyllabic words with unusual vowel or consonant spellings, words with grammatical endings, items with silent letters, compounds, and other "oddities" that come up naturally. Examples are assent/ascent, aural/oral, boy/buoy, carat/carrot, marshall/marshal, overdue/overdo, and the like. There are Sound & Spelling Charts, pedagogical Notes, Word Lists, Quizzes with Answers, ideas for learner-created materials, and the like.
Why You Need Them: Advanced language students, including independent learners and educated native speakers, may want exposure to "all there is to know" about vocabulary they can use in their everyday lives and work. Though no "educational product" provides practice in all homophonic pairs and groups that exist or may be created in English, the 216 items of these five two-sided card packs--with corresponding documentation--contain plenty of representative examples. Proficient learners might enjoy manipulating and working/playing with--and going beyond--such "sophisticated" materials.
What They Do:
- tells why homophones exist in English, giving charts of the spellings that produce them
- explains how the cards work, suggesting other ways to use them efficiently and effectively.
- gives other ways to teach and/or learn these interesting vocabulary pairs
- offers reproducible Mastery Checks of two kinds, paraphrasing exercises and a story with multiple misspellings to correct--with Answer Keys, of course
- includes Reference Lists of all relevant items for all three levels of materials
To Buy Print Version Click Here!
1 PAGE TOC and 7 PAGE Intro and Samples